Apply to be our HR Consultant
We’re looking for an experienced HR professional to help us design and implement an equitable and competitive compensation strategy that serves our distributed international team, and consult on our key policy requirements.
- You’ll advise our Operations team and Managing Director on the administration of human resources policies and procedures.
- You’ll lead competitive salary analysis on job levels for US and international roles.
- You’ll help us design and implement a performance evaluation and promotion process, to build internal cohesion and stability for the long term.
- This is a part-time 3-month contract for USD $10,000.
We are a small US 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, founded in 2014 with the goal of increasing security and usability in technology tools. Our team is spread out across the US and the EU, and we support technologists around the world. We’ve contributed design to a variety of tools that enhance security, such as Tails and NoScript. We’ve held salons and a residency around designing for security. But we’ve done a lot more than usable security. Just in the last year, we’ve launched a report on trust and transparency in nonprofit funding; a decentralization pattern library; a campaign to save internet freedom tech; a community around human rights centered design; and much, much more.
We’re also working through an open rebranding process, potentially moving away from the name “Simply Secure” and toward an identity that more accurately reflects the diversity of the work we do. Learn more on our blog.
- You have extensive experience as an HR professional working in the US 501(c)3 non-profit sector.
- You bring expertise and knowledge of compensation surveys and design in different markets to create equity across the organization.
- You have experience in designing and implementing a meaningful performance evaluation process that is appropriate for small organizations.
- You’re a team player with excellent communication and leadership skills
- You’re comfortable working with a distributed team.
- You are able to manage a balance of strategic planning and tactical execution.
Nice to Have
- Experience with researchers and UX designers working on human-centered design, design thinking, service design, or participatory research (specifically field research).
- Knowledgeable about one or more of the following areas: open source software, internet freedom, tech criticism and activism, human rights technology.
- Comfortable with collaborative work tools (we currently use Notion, Miro, and Google Suite).
Sound like a good fit?
Please send us:
- Updated resume or CV
- Your responses to the following 2 questions:
- What are your first 5 questions to help you develop an equitable compensation package for teams across countries, where some have generous social benefits and others are dependent on their employers? (250 words max)
- What do you think are the pros and cons of 360 performance evaluations vs manager-only performance reviews? (250 words max)
Send these documents to email@example.com by Sept 30th.
We believe that systemic bad behaviors disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.