Simply Secure is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the user-experience design and usability of open-source privacy-preserving software. We bridge gaps between communities – users, software developers, user-experience researchers, and designers. We work with developers to transparently and collaboratively improve software, and we act as a resource hub for groups seeking to do the same.
Full time; based in the EU, Philadelphia PA, the San Francisco Bay Area, or in a timezone with significant overlapping work hours. Open until filled. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience.
We are seeking an outstanding Operations Associate to join our small-but-growing team. The individual hired for this position will hold primary responsibility for a wide variety of the organization’s operational activities.
Our ideal candidate is first and foremost highly organized. They embrace flexibility, freedom, and creativity, while simultaneously leading others in pursuing pragmatic and systematic solutions. They take pride in bringing order to chaos. They love to communicate and learn about new things, and happily build collaborative relationships with a diverse set of partners (from highly-technical engineers to artistic designers and academic researchers). They enjoy working with a growing team to set and achieve goals, and find meaningful fulfillment in dependably supporting the organization from behind the scenes. They are able to juggle competing priorities across multiple initiatives with grace. Finally, they find Simply Secure’s mission personally compelling, and are eager to grow their career at the intersection of user needs and privacy technology.
- Work with external accountants to manage finances.
- Ensure bills are paid on time.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and monitor budget.
- Administrative support
- Aid other team members in calendaring, expense reimbursement, and other tasks as needed so they can focus on programmatic activities.
- Provide logistics support in event planning and execution.
- Prepare blog content for publication, including adding HTML tags and doing basic image editing.
- Manage blog calendar, working with guest authors on the delivery of posts.
- Monitor and respond to social-media feeds and notifications
- Human resources
- Collaborate with payroll-service provider and other vendors to ensure smooth operations.
- Maintain the employee handbook, working with other members of the staff to develop new policies as appropriate.
- Development support
- Work with the Executive Director in preparing grant proposals.
- Assume ownership of grant reporting over time.
- Assist in building the organization’s capacity for soliciting and handling individual donations.
- Technical (not mandatory and not a core part of the position, but a possibility for the right candidate)
- Post updates to the blog via Git.
- Make basic changes to website.
- Research software and make purchasing recommendations.
- Provide basic tech support to staff and in-house fellows.
- Serve as administrator for a variety of systems (Google Apps, Slack, Github, etc.).
- Explore expanding our organization’s systems and communities to self-hosted solutions, e.g. on Sandstorm.
- The position is at the Associate or Senior Associate level. Formal education matters less than a clear history of responsibly engaging in relevant activities. As a rough guideline, we are seeking candidates with at least the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree plus either 1-3 years’ relevant experience or exceptional internships (at the Associate level) or 3-5 years’ relevant experience (at the Senior Associate level).
- Excellent written and oral-communication skills.
- Experience acting as a communications hub and/or organizing force for a collaborative group of diverse team members.
- Demonstrably good judgement in (and professional approach to) independently communicating with external stakeholders.
- A history of quickly adapting to new software systems (for word processing, spreadsheets, website publishing, etc.) with little formal training. Interest and experience using internet technologies to improve organizational processes and efficiency. Basic fluency in an annotation language like HTML or Markup is a plus.
- An appreciation of open-source values, an interest in information privacy and security, and a passion for high-quality software user experiences.
How to Apply
To express interest in this position, please email email@example.com with “Operations Position” in the subject line, and include a résumé and cover letter as a single attachment.
Simply Secure is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability. We strongly encourage individuals from populations underrepresented in the technology industry to apply.