Finance & Operations Manager
We are a small US 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, founded in 2014 with the goal of making security tools easier to use. We believed – and still do – that security doesn’t have to be confusing to end users. We’ve contributed design to a variety of tools that enhance security, such as Tails to I2P to NoScript. We’ve held salons and a residency around designing for security. But we’ve done a lot more than usable security. Just in the last year, we’ve launched a decentralization pattern library; a report on trust and transparency in nonprofit funding; a campaign to save internet freedom tech; a community around human rights centered design; a series of videos about trust and responsibility in design; and much, much more.
Simply Secure is seeking a full-time remote Finance and Operations Manager (US only, with immediate availability) to help develop and manage its finances and operations. We’re looking for someone who can own and manage the relationships with a variety of third-party finance and operations vendors. As an active member of the team, this person will stay on top of project timelines in relation to financial milestones, and support the team in grant reporting. On a monthly basis, our organization processes 20+ contracts with funding partners and external contractors— this role will lead this effort and manage our financial flow.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the ideal candidate has more than five years’ experience working in an office environment (in person or virtual), preferably in the non-profit sector. They are very adept at using web-based applications to work with a remote team both in the US and in Europe, and can help us manage our finances and processes in a scalable way.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage Business/Accounts Administrator and third-party Finance team to ensure invoices, receipts and expense claims are processed in a timely manner and to support accurate financial reporting.
- Assist with quarterly and annual financial review.
- Lead tax compliance process and liaise with third-party tax accountant.
- Track and manage financial reporting requirements for grants.
- Manage ongoing financial reporting to assist management with budgeting and financial tracking.
- Update management on any financial discrepancies found during tax filing or invoicing duties.
- Assist staff with use of accounts systems and field related questions.
- Own and manage relationships with third-party service providers for US and international payroll and benefits.
- Administer and manage our contracting process, including developing, processing, tracking and filing service agreements and vendor contracts ensuring appropriate tax documentation is received and completed.
- Support our fiscally sponsored projects in all things operations and financial.
- Communicate and support organization staff in operational and administrative processes.
- Lead operational and financial processes for our Fiscally Sponsored Projects.
- Assist management in planning and preparing board meeting packets including filing meeting minutes, drafting resolutions and other board documentation as needed.
- Support the team on grants writing, management and reporting.
- Process improvement: Identify and implement user-centered process improvements that support our team in focusing their time and effort on our mission.
- Lead new staff onboarding and offboarding from an operational perspective.
- Experience managing third-party financial and operational vendors and platforms for successful non-profit organizational management.
- Three or more years experience with Quickbooks and financial management.
- Knowledge of multi-currency accounting and transactions.
- Advanced knowledge of Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar and Google Meet).
- Curious about new platforms and integrations for supporting organizational efficiency.
- Experience in using web-based business software, especially project management, billing and invoicing, and time tracking platforms (e.g. bill.com, Harvest, Notion).
- Ensures all work is completed on time, professionally, and to a high standard.
- Experience working at a nonprofit preferred.
- Previous use of Slack is beneficial.
Work Hours and Benefits
This position is for a full-time employee, 40 hours per week with availability during our core work hours (8-5pm ET), at $65,000-80,000 per year depending on experience. Benefits include health insurance, sick leave, generous parental leave, and monthly tech stipend.
To be considered for this position, we ask that you submit a resumé, along with a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
We believe that systemic bad behaviors disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. We are open to candidates from around the world. Final hiring decisions will be contingent upon our ability to contract and pay in the candidate’s country. Simply Secure does not provide relocation or visa support.